Opened in 1911, Jarvis Hall is the oldest building on TCU’s Fort Worth campus. Until recently, Jarvis Hall served as a women’s dormitory. Due to recent growth at TCU and changes in student housing, Bennett Benner Pettit was asked to provide architectural services to renovate Jarvis Hall to incorporate career services, student services, university ministries, music classrooms and offices.
The design provides a new entry into the building on the west side of the campus, including an entry lobby and elevator. The exterior of this lobby takes its inspiration from details and materials throughout the building. Careful emphasis was placed on massing and hierarchy in an attempt to signify entry without competing with the original front entry. On the east side, minimalist handrails and an inconspicuous ramp were added to comply with local regulations. The fire-stair on the north (which was not original to the building) was removed and the exterior façade was restored.
All windows, which were from a previous renovation, were replaced with windows simulating the original style and pattern. Interior and exterior student gathering spaces are also incorporated into the new design, which complements the original building’s style and materials. The entire historic exterior has been restored, including re-pointing of existing brick, restoration of existing moldings and re-creation of original details in areas where they were lost.